Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Paddy's Day Parisian Style

Tonight Molly and I had planned on going out with a bunch of people for St. Paddy's Day, but it didn't work out. My French friends ended up going somewhere else, my American friends decided to drink beforehand and were too drunk to stand straight, let alone find a pub in the middle of the city, and a certain Italian was like "I have 'jet lag' from moving to a new place." I wanted to say, "Pansy! Molly and I have real jet lag and we're still going out." But I resisted. Mainly because the term "pansy" is hard to explain through text message.

That's right. Giovanni moved to a foyer outside of Paris. It's very sad, but I'll see him again eventually. Though not if he's going to be a pansy about going out. (I'm being cruel, I know. I feel bad for him even though he's never going to read this.)

It turned out ok, because Molly and I went to a place that calls itself the oldest pub in Paris and had a ton of fun. There were a lot of Irish people there, surprisingly. Most people were speaking English. Molly and I really want to go back there one night. We were shocked at how crowded it was. Apparently, the French really want to celebrate their Irish roots, too. Afterwards, we walked around looking for McDonalds, but couldn't find one open. I'm not sure how Irish going to McDonalds is, but we didn't care.

Dublin was lovely. I got to see all my Loras roommates. Their jet lag surpassed mine by quite a bit. It was nice to be one of the normal people. We all went out drinking on Friday night at one of the pubs. We saw a lot of tourists in green hats. We also went to the Guinness Factory one day. I'm not going to lie, I got a soda at the end instead of my complimentary Guinness. Nothing against Guinness, I just hate it.

Tomorrow I get to see a ballet at the actual opera house that the Phantom of the Opera was based off of. Molly and I are really excited, and have been singing Phantom songs all week in preparation. Everyone is probably really excited for when we stop. Little do they know that we will probably continue even when it's over...

3 comments:

siobhan said...

I don't know what is more shocking--Frenchmen celebrating St. Pat's or Meghan looking for a McDonalds....

doc said...

But Guiness is like mothers' milk. How can you not like it? There is no cheese in it...

Patty said...

Isn't it frustrating when plans for a night out just don't seem to be coming together? But it sounds like you had a fun St. Patrick's Day. Phantom of the Opera? Great music.
My sister Sue is now a fan of your blog as well. So many people are enjoying Paris through your blog.
love and kisses to you, Meghan