Thursday, March 12, 2009

In Which Meghan Discusses Food Far Too Much

I'm getting busier and busier, which I think has become more evident as I write less and less frequently. Now that I'm actually making friends, I have things to do at night. It's quite fabulous. I'm still hanging out with the French guys I met last week. One of them has been helping me with my French a lot. I get to learn all the words they won't teach you in school.

I met more Parisans! This time they were girls. I like them because they offered to take me to what they refer to ask "one of the best bakeries in France" as soon as they found out about my love for food. One of them said, "It's a bit more on the expensive side, but it's really good." I told her that when it came to baked goods, this was ok. I'm doing what the Italians refer to as "tasting instead of eating." Those Italians know what they're doing when it comes to food.

Molly and I have decided to open a French bakery in the United States. We're getting the baguette recipes and pain au chocolate (crossiant bread with chocolate in it... my favorite thing ever). I think everyone will renounce all other bread when they come to our bakery. I think one of the best gifts you can give to people is great bread. How can someone be unhappy when they're eating something so beautiful? Answer: they can't. I've found the solution to world peace: French bread.
Speaking of food, I got some authentic Italian pasta last night. Giovanni made some for me. It was really amazing, and made me excited for touring Italy over Spring Break. I did have a little parmesan cheese with it, though just a little. I informed him early on that I wouldn't be able to eat cheese with the pasta and he got very upset and said, "Well then, it will not be pasta." Oh those crazy Italians getting all dramatic about their cheese. I told him I was lactose intolerant, and he allowed for the no cheese. And by "allowed," I mean he still grated the cheese and kept going, "Are you suuuuuuuure?" just in case my allergy had magically disappeared.

On an unfood-related note, I'm going to Dublin! (It's unfood-related because Dublin's food compared to Paris' is like a Beatles' cover band compared to the Beatles.) I'm going to see Christine (again!). My Loras roommates will all also be there. We plan on celebrating St. Patrick's Day the way God intended: drunk. Well, technically it's just the weekend before St. Patrick's, but you don't need an excuse to party in Dublin. I'll be back in Paris for St. Patrick's, and I've informed everyone that we are partying like it's 1999.

5 comments:

doc said...

You can't hide behind the "lactose intolerant" shield - just admit it. You liked the fresh parmesan. Soon you will find that colby is not just a school in Maine.

siobhan said...

Have fun in Dublin!

Patty said...

In reference to the title of this post: Can one ever discuss food far too much? I think not!

Caitlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caitlin said...

Tu es ridicule... tu aime le fromage. Admit it. And you'll have to put down that big glass of milk/bowl of ice cream next time you tell people you are lactose intolerant.