Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Man Walks Into a Bar...

Last night, Giovanni and I went to an Irish pub with 2 Frenchmen, 2 Finnish girls, and a Mexican girl. When I texted this to Michelle, she replied "it'd be funnier if you were with a priest and a rabbi." Sadly, none of them could be convinced to change their vocations based on how funny I wanted my life to be.

Giovanni and I met one of the Frenchmen on the metro on the way to the pub. Giovanni's over 6 feet tall and his friend was even taller, so I looked like one of the munchkins from the Wizard of Oz standing next to them. I had to cran my neck up to even see their faces. I couldn't hear what they were saying because they were so high up. It's hard enough to understand French, but it's even harder when it sounds like it's coming from far away. I should probably buy a ridiculously tall pair of high heels to fix this. I'm not sure they make foot-tall high heels that I can actually walk in, though.

I guess the night did end up helping me with my French. The guys were all trying to help me and so they had me explain "wingman" and "take one for the team" in French, which turned out to be slightly easier than I thought it would be. I'm so glad they wanted to know such wholesome, family-friendly, American slang. I felt like a horrible person when I was saying things like (in French), "Ok, so 'take one for the team' is when there's this pretty girl who has a not-so-pretty friend and your friend 'takes one for the team' by distracting the ugly girl so you can get with the pretty girl." When I asked them what the term in French for this was, they laughed and said, "There isn't one. We don't need anyone to help us get with a pretty girl."

Clearly, European males lack self-esteem.

I found out last night that Nutella is Italian. I should probably have already known this (just by the name), but I just assumed it was French. Oops. Because I have utterly failed at researching this fabulous product, I looked up some information. Apparently there's a World Nutella Day that nobody told me about. I missed it! Next February 5th, I'm going all out. Nutella for everyone! I'll hand it out on my campus and everyone will be like, "This is really creepy. What's wrong with you?" But then they'll taste it after I convince them I haven't poisoned it, and they'll ask me if they can be my friend. Really, you can't not want to be friends with someone who gives you food.

Speaking of people giving food, my parents are coming! I'm very excited to see them again. I have no idea what we'll be doing, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

And now, I'm going to take a nap. One of my French teachers has been a little too excited about giving us a lot of homework, so I need more sleep.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Are you having a great time with your parents? How fun is that?!