Thursday, March 26, 2009

An Entry in Which Food Isn't Mentioned. Progress?

I decided my speech topic will be... TWILIGHT! There are only 3 Americans in the class, so everyone else really needs to be educated. One of the Americans (Katie, she's also in my Central College program), fully supports this decision and claims it will be the best presentation of all time. It will be even though I'll be presenting it in French just because Twilight is that magical.

I was going to present on trashy romance novels, but it's a Catholic college and there are nuns in my class, so I refrained. Although, it would have been the presentation that would make all other presentations weep in jealousy, even the Twilight one.

Next time.

I have extended my stay by two weeks so that I can finish my classes. Originally, our program ends and we're supposed to leave before the classes we're taking actually end (it works out somehow, but it's kind of a lot confusing). I think it's silly to leave before the classes are finished. I came here to learn French and I technically paid for the full courses, so I've decided to finish them. I talked to my program director and my foyer director and I have a place to live! It's not the Dubuque isn't cool, I'd just rather stay here for a bit longer. I'm sad that I'll be missing Brendan's graduation, but when I apologized to him he said, "I wish I wasn't going, too." So I think I'm ok.

Last night we had another language exchange. This time even MORE people came. I have no idea who most of them are, but I did get to learn some more slang. I'm glad I'm not living in the suburbs. They take words and invert them. Like "voiture" (car) becomes "turevoi". I don't even know the real words, so I'm glad I don't have to guess their slang counterparts. The French guy who told me about it said, "I speak French fluently, and even I don't know what they're saying." I'd heard of this trend before, but now I'm really glad the inner city Parisians frown on this practice.

I learned more swear words, so all-in-all it was a very productive night. I know I'm getting better at French because I only have to ask people to repeat themselves 3 times instead of 6. They're less likely to give up and start talking to me in English now! My comprehension is now pretty good. I can mostly figure out what people are trying to say to me. I can't always respond properly, but they forgive me. I think.

Real Life Examples (pretend these are written in French):
Previously-
Frenchman: Can I have your phone number?
Me: The price of the bus back to Paris? I think it's 13 euro.

Now-
French Teacher: Are you leaving in May or June?
Me: I is leave June. I stay for all the course.


Judging by my second response, I think staying is a good idea.

3 comments:

doc said...

I is enjoy your blog. Food or not.

siobhan said...

I purchased "Twilight" at Costco yesterday. We now can watch Edward Cullen anytime!

Anonymous said...

i am job.