Friday, June 19, 2009

A Final Recount of Paris (For Now... I'll Be Back)

My last days in Paris were marked by sunshine, despite the fact that it had been raining all week. I think it was Paris' way of saying, "Meghan, don't leave me. We can work this out. Look how fabulous I am!" It apparently rained the day after I left, which I can only take to mean that Paris was expressing its true pain at my departure.

Melyn and I walked around our neighborhood, taking pictures and buying every dessert that I had always wanted to try but never had. We then went to the cafe where Amélie works in "Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain." It was a lot a bit overpriced, but that's what you have to pay for happiness and a few photos.

I spent my second to last night saying goodbye to most of my friends in a picnic by the Eiffel Tower. In true French style, there was red wine, baguettes, meat, cheese, and beer. Many people had cigarettes as well, and I couldn't help but think, "In 48 hours, I'll be able to breathe better, but it just won't be the same."

The next day was my last official one in France. Théo took me to an amusement park. Because it was a Saturday, it was a little bit on the crowded side, but I still had a lot of fun. French amusement parks aren't that different from American ones, except that everyone speaks in French and all the signs are in French.

We then came back and had dinner at a nice restaurant. I ordered clams, which were pretty good, though immediately following, Théo showed me the clam he was eating and we had something similar to the following conversation:

Théo: See how it's moving? It's still alive.
Me: They gave you a live one? You should tell them.
Théo: They were all alive.
Me: ... Like not the ones I was eating, right?
Théo: Those were alive, too.
Me: No, they weren't! Wait, were they really?
Théo: When you order clams and they look like that, they are always alive.
Me: If you had told me that before, I wouldn't have eaten them.
Théo: I know. That's why I didn't.

Not sure I'll ever have clams again, but now I know their secret.

We then met Arnaud and a few other friends on the steps of Sacre Coeur and drank wine. Because it's so high up, the view from Sacre Coeur is fabulous. I think it was a great final view of Paris.

The next morning, Théo, Melyn, and Arnaud helped me get to the airport. I wasn't quite ready to leave, so we went to an airport cafe and bought overpriced pain au chocolat. While we ate, I was instructed to take any offers to go on later flights if the plane was overbooked. Coincidentally, it was. They had already given all the spots away by the time I got up to the counter, and I would have only stayed an hour longer in Paris.

I did cry when I was saying goodbye to everyone. Théo, Melyn, and Arnaud stayed with me until they weren't allowed to go any further. I cried as soon as I started giving Melyn the first hug. I had already warned them, so I feel they were prepared. I finally had gotten some semblance of control when I managed to say the line I've always wanted to say to someone: "We'll always have Paris." I then completely ruined the effect by sobbing. Somewhere, Humphrey Bogart was probably very upset with me.

The plane ride was ok as long as I didn't remember what I was leaving. Though I didn't sob on the plane, a few tears did leak out occasionally. The four-year-old sitting across the aisle from me kept giving me I'm-terrified-of-you looks throughout the plane ride.

Landing and getting picked up by my parents and Uncle Hank and Aunt Cheryl was nice. We all went out for my first legal drink in the US. I chose a Bailey's Irish Coffee, because Bailey's has always had a special place in my heart. And plus, I was tired and it contained caffeine.

I have gotten to see a lot of my family since, and received an amazing cake from the Vonderheides (it was Disney-themed...). That's all been lovely. I've also been making my doctor rounds (gotta check everything to make sure Meghan's working properly), so I feel like I haven't really had the chance to let everything sink in yet. I think I will write one final entry in a week or two telling how I've adjusted/ what it's like being back in Dubuque. I'm going to guess the transition from Paris to Dubuque will be a semi-tough one. Though, like I've said, they're not SO different. They both have people in them. And buildings.

Reverse culture shock report to follow!

No comments: