Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Goodbyes

My heart goes out to my family today. While I wish I could be with them today, I'm glad they understood me staying here.

I've found Skype and my internet rarely work when I want them to. My brother's birthday, Mother's Day... I think the internet is secretly scheming against me. Théo was really nice and lent me his so that I could wish Brendan a happy birthday on facebook. I'm not sure why the internet here never works. My only theory is that all the strikes that the workers here have effected (affected? merde, I've completely lost my grammar skills) it and it's working French-style.

On Monday, I had to say goodbye to Ben. He's going to Dublin to work for at least the next six months. He's become one of my best friends here, so I'm really sad to see him leaving (really it's only by chance that I was tired and didn't sob all over him. He got lucky). We spent yesterday hanging out at the park then a cafe and I met him later for drinks.

I gave him my blog so he now has access to my incredible wit, intelligence, and modesty, even though it'll be over in three weeks. I would write one for Dubuque, but my entries would look like this:

Went to class today. And work. Am now watching tv. I think I might go to McDonalds. Do you think they have pain au chocolat there?

I cringe at the very thought. Though I suppose as a fiction writer, I could make up stories to make things more interesting.

I went to work, and a man in a suit was waiting for me. He claimed he was from the FBI and that they had a special mission for me... Go undercover at Disneyworld to stop a huge character riot.

Molly and I didn't end up going to Disneyland because that was the day I got the email and because neither of us could really afford it. She left on Sunday. Melyn and I helped her with her bags. This was necessary as she had 5 of them and two of them were roughly the size and weight of me. I'm still not sure how she got all of them on the plane, but I can't wait to hear that story.

Théo also found out about my blog and asked me for the address. Thinking of the "Why My Family Will Think Any European Male I Bring Home is Gay" entry, I turned down the request. After being asked a few more times, I finally gave in. Théo and Ben, don't be offended by the list. It's all cultural differences... not any reflection on your sexuality.

Though really, everyone should thank me. It's a common misconception that French men are all gay and I have just done the work for them by pegging down specific reasons people think this.

Well, I have to go meet Katie at the office to give her some stuff she forgot from Spring Break, but I'll write more later.

No comments: